Commitment to Sustainability
NSF International demonstrates its commitment to sustainability by upholding numerous sustainable practices throughout the organization including:
- We undergo regular water quality assessments to verify that no harmful pollutants are discharged into waterways.
- Our drinking water treatment lab, which tests residential and commercial water treatment and filtration products, recycles more than 2 million gallons of water annually.
- We encourage employees to participate in the company’s sustainability initiatives. Our Sustainability Committee focuses on recycling and employee education, and our organic garden has produced more than 2,000 pounds of fresh produce for donation to area food kitchens.
- We practice regular recycling and waste reduction including purchasing recycled-content products and incorporating these practices into our policies. We recycle an average of 51,882 pounds of metals (copper, brass and stainless steel) annually.
NSF International has earned Silver LEED certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) from the U.S. Green Building Council for its laboratory addition. NSF also has earned ISO 14001 environmental management system certification, which demonstrates the organization’s overall commitment to environmental stewardship.
NSF also developed an environmental management systems (EMS) policy that includes these core values:
- NSF International is committed to providing environmental leadership in all aspects of its work.
- NSF considers the environmental impact of its operations activities and takes appropriate steps to minimize or prevent environmental pollution.
- NSF strives to go beyond compliance in meeting relevant environmental laws, regulations and other applicable requirements.
- NSF conducts its operations in a manner that is designed to minimize the impact on the environment and the people who live and work in that environment.
- NSF is dedicated to conformance with the requirements of ISO 14001, and to the continual improvement of its environmental management system by establishing and meeting environmental targets and objectives.
In addition to employing sustainable practices and adhering to an EMS policy, we offer services to help other companies become more sustainable. These services include certification to sustainability standards and protocols, environmental claims validation, life cycle assessments and green chemistry services.