Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
The NSF Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) Registration for contract manufacturers and internal manufacturing facilities of dietary supplement companies enables contract manufacturers to become independently registered by NSF as complying with GMP requirements as listed in Section 8 of NSF/ANSI Standard 173-2008. These requirements are consistent with the published GMP regulation for dietary supplements as defined in 21 CFR § 111, which was published by the FDA in May 2007.
What are GMPs?
Good Manufacturing Practices are guidelines that provide a system of processes, procedures, and documentation to assure the product produced has the identity, strength, composition, quality, and purity that it is represented to possess.
Benefits of the NSF GMP Registration Program
- Increases the creditability and offers a competitive advantage in the marketplace for contract manufacturers
- Increases senior management confidence in the preparedness of manufacturing facilities for FDA inspection
- Decreases the time and cost for companies selecting third-party testing and product certification if using an NSF GMP registered contract manufacturer
- Manufacturers of dietary supplements that comply with GMP requirements receive certificates and are listed on the NSF website.
- Available to all manufacturers of dietary supplements
- Demonstrates independent third-party verification of continuing conformance to GMPs