U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) WaterSense®
- Benefits of Certification
- Why Work With NSF?
- Certification Process
Water conservation continues to be a concern the world over. Many manufacturers are striving to meet the demand for more environmentally friendly water systems for common household products including toilets, sinks and showerheads. As regulators discuss ways to decrease water usage and reduce the strain on water resources, the U.S. Environmental protection Agency (EPA) WaterSense program provides solutions to help protect and conserve water.
NSF International plays a key role in the program as an EPA licensed certification body. As a third-party certifier, NSF is authorized by the EPA to perform WaterSense testing and issue certification for manufacturers seeking to earn the WaterSense label for their products.
What Is WaterSense?
WaterSense is a voluntary public-private partnership program sponsored by the U.S. EPA committed to protecting the future of the U.S. water supply. The WaterSense program promotes and enhances the market for water-efficient products and services.
What Products Are Eligible?
- Bathroom sink faucets and accessories
- High-efficiency toilets (HETs)
- Flushing urinals
- Irrigation controllers
For more information on certifying your products to the U.S. EPA WaterSense program, call +1 734.827.3822 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits of Certification
Products and services that have earned the WaterSense label have been certified to be at least 20 percent more efficient than other products without sacrificing performance. Having products certified to the EPA WaterSense program demonstrates your company's commitment to water efficiency and environmental responsibility. The program will also drive consumers and retailers to your products as they seek out certified products in the WaterSense® program.
Additional benefits for manufacturers and public health officials include:
- WaterSense mark recognition, faster market access and expedited regulatory acceptance
- Third-party confirmation, reducing potential liability issues
- Ongoing support related to technical development and regulatory requirements
- Verification of a product’s listing status, including product type, trade name, manufacturer name and location
NSF International has the qualifications and reputation to help your business meet the needs of the market and get the recognition and acceptance that is critical to your company’s success.
Why Work With NSF?NSF is well respected by public health officials, retailers and consumers, and our name is recognized as a symbol of product quality and integrity. Our responsive personalized service quickly guides your products through the certification process, ensuring that your products get to market on time and on budget. We offer bracketing services wherever possible to help keep costs down, and provide the pricing up front so there are no hidden surprises down the road.
NSF has helped thousands of manufacturers obtain both local and international market access by evaluating their products to meet the requirements of multiple markets and product standards. Our certification of products to the EPA WaterSense program is a simple seven-step process.
- Your company completes and submits an EPA partnership agreement and NSF certification forms.
- You and your suppliers provide formulations, design specifications and product end use information (product must meet all applicable performance and health effects standards).
- We review formulation and engineering specifications.
- We perform a plant audit and sample collection.
- We conduct testing.
- We grant certification and contact the EPA to update the WaterSense program registry with your listing.
- We perform ongoing monitoring including facility inspections and product retesting.
Our experts can help you reduce overall costs and expedite your time to market by bundling services, which can reduce the number of contracted service providers and required facility audits.
- 1 week ago
Sustainability is a significant and growing area of focus for U.S. industry, confronting increased materials and energy costs and heightened...
- 3 weeks ago
The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) added two new “green” icons to its GSA Advantage! online shopping and ordering service....
NSF International Finalizes First Environmental Product Declaration for PPG’s Architectural Coatings
- 9 months ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – NSF Sustainability, a division of global public health organization NSF International, has verified an environmental product...