NSF International Expands Technical Services in Europe with Acquisition of G+S Laboratory in Germany
Acquisition of German ISO/IEC 17025-accredited lab further strengthens scientific food and water testing services
ANN ARBOR, Mich., USA and RHEDA-WIEDENBRÜCK, Germany — NSF International, an independent global public health and safety organization that develops standards, and tests and certifies products for the food, water, dietary supplement and pharmaceutical industries, has completed the acquisition of food safety and water testing experts G+S Laboratory in Rheda-Wiedenbrück, Germany.
The acquisition is the latest of several strategic moves designed to strengthen NSF International’s food and water safety services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA). In 2015, NSF acquired Erdmann Analytics, also in Rheda-Wiedenbrück. The following year NSF purchased Euro Consultants Group (ECG) in Wavre, Belgium. The acquisitions strengthen NSF International’s consulting and technical services as well as its global laboratory network, which supports NSF International programs that help protect and improve the safety of food, water, pharmaceuticals, dietary supplements and the environment.
G+S Laboratory is an ISO/IEC 17025-accredited food and water testing laboratory offering a variety of testing services, including food chemistry testing, food microbiology testing and drinking water analysis. G+S Laboratory was founded in 2006 through a merger of the Chemical Analytical Laboratory (founded in 1980) and the G+S Laboratory for Bacteriology and Food Hygiene (founded in 1994). In 2012, G+S Laboratory took over the Analytical Laboratory for Chemical and Microbiological Studies (ALCuM).
Specific services include:
- Food Chemistry – Nutritional analysis, caloric value validation, ingredient/quality parameter testing and contaminant/undesirable substance testing
- Food Microbiology – Aerobic count, lactic acid bacteria, Staphylococcus, Pseudomonas, Listeria, yeast and mold, enterobacteria, coliforms, E. coli, Enterococcus and Salmonella testing
- Potable Water and Bottled Water Testing – Bacteriological testing (E. coli, coliform bacteria, Clostridium perfringens, Enterococcus, Legionella) and chemical testing (ammonium, arsenic, lead, antimony)
- Other tests include norovirus testing and histology
“G+S Laboratory is an important part of NSF International’s strategy to serve testing clients in Germany and throughout Europe,” said Dr. Thomas Wilke, Managing Director of NSF Erdmann Analytics in Germany. “This acquisition will enable us to continue enhancing and expanding our food and water testing services.”
Dr. Wilke will oversee operations of G+S Laboratory in addition to his management duties at NSF Erdmann Analytics. G+S Laboratory employs more than 40 people with backgrounds in chemistry, chemical engineering, histology, microbiology and food technology.
“NSF International is committed to protecting public health globally and our continued investment in Germany demonstrates this dedication,” said Kevan P. Lawlor, NSF International President and CEO. “With an increasingly global food chain and new regulations in Europe and the United States, as well as other food safety standards in other parts of the world, offering a global reach and expertise in testing is vitally important to our customers.”
Several recent NSF International acquisitions in Europe were similarly aimed at enhancing the organization’s global laboratory network and food safety services.
- The 2015 acquisition of Erdmann Analytics enabled NSF International to expand its analytical testing services for the food, potable water, wastewater, dietary supplement and pharmaceutical industries. NSF Erdmann Analytics now employs more than 170 scientific experts and provides testing services for a wide range of food products, including meat, produce, packaged foods, fruit juices, seafood, dairy and pet/livestock feed.
- The 2016 acquisition of Euro Consultants Group (ECG) expanded NSF International’s services and technical capabilities in food safety/quality training, auditing and consulting. Today, NSF ECG helps companies and institutions build and integrate effective food safety and quality management systems throughout the global supply chain. Services include supply chain and retail food safety auditing, training in food safety and hygiene regulations as well as legal requirements, and grant-funded consulting projects for the EU Food Safety Authority.
NSF International has served clients in Europe since 1985, when the organization opened its European headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. NSF International offers expertise and accredited services across all food supply chain and water industry sectors, including agriculture, animal feed and welfare, bottled water, drinking water systems, produce, processing, distribution, manufacturing, dairy, seafood, and retail and restaurants. NSF’s food safety services include certification to Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) standards, GLOBALG.A.P. and Tesco NURTURE schemes, foodservice equipment and nonfood compounds certification, HACCP validation and inspection, label claims verification and certification, DNA and food package testing, and organic and Certified Transitional certification through Quality Assurance International (QAI). NSF International’s global water services include testing, certification and auditing for municipal water treatment components and chemicals, plastic piping systems, plumbing fixtures and fittings, point-of-use and point-of-entry water systems and filters.
NSF International also provides expert auditing and training services as well as strategic and technical consulting services to assist with supply chain management, product and process development, regulatory compliance, food fraud, behavioral food safety, risk assessment, organizational culture, customized training and crisis management.
For more information about NSF International’s global food services visit NSF’s food safety web page. For more information about NSF’s global water services, visit NSF’s water web page. For more information about NSF Erdmann Analytics, visit its website.
Editor’s note: U.S. media seeking additional information or to arrange interviews can contact Liz Nowland-Margolis at email@example.com or +1 734.418.6624. Media in Europe can contact Heather Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org or + 32 2761 7407.
NSF International is a global independent organization that writes standards, and tests and certifies products for the food, water, health sciences and consumer goods industries to minimize adverse health effects and protect the environment (nsf.org). Founded in 1944, NSF is committed to protecting human health and safety worldwide. Operating in more than 165 countries, NSF International is a Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Center on Food Safety, Water Quality and Indoor Environment.