NSF’s ISO 17025-Accredited Lab in Shanghai Can Verify the Safety and Quality of Dietary Supplements
NSF Shanghai Testing Laboratory - lobby (top photo). NSF Shanghai Testing Laboratory - chemistry lab (bottom photo).
Companies Can Now Verify the Safety and Quality of Dietary Supplement and Food Ingredients Sourced from Asia via NSF International’s ISO 17025-Accredited Lab in Shanghai
SHANGHAI — NSF International, an independent global organization that writes public health standards, tests and certifies products for the dietary supplement, food, water and consumer goods industries, has achieved ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation from the China National Accreditation Service (CNAS) for its laboratory in Shanghai, China. The NSF Shanghai Testing Laboratory provides dietary supplement and food ingredient companies with a means to source safer products, raw materials and ingredients from Asia through independent, accredited third-party testing and certification.
More than 60 percent of dietary supplement ingredients sold in the U.S. are imported from China. In a recent survey of more than 1,000 consumers, the United Natural Products Alliance (UNPA) found that more than 63 percent of respondents said they would be less likely to buy a China-sourced dietary supplement. The NSF International Shanghai Testing Laboratory can help resolve these concerns by providing accredited testing services to verify the safety and quality of dietary ingredients against US and European standards prior to their leaving the country.
“Instead of relying either on tests provided by China or post-shipment tests, U.S. manufacturers can now test the quality of Chinese raw materials prior to shipment through NSF International’s accredited laboratory in Shanghai. These accredited testing services help companies capitalize on the ingredient sourcing opportunities in Asia while also ensuring their standards of safety and quality are being met by their suppliers,” said Jeff Crowther, Executive Director of the U.S.-China Health Products Association.
CNAS ISO 17025 accreditation demonstrates that the NSF Shanghai Testing Laboratory follows internationally recognized lab quality management practices. Accredited dietary and food ingredient testing services include:
- active ingredient testing (e.g. chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, plant extraction)
- nutritional ingredient testing (e.g. vitamins, fatty acid, DHA, EPA, minerals)
- microbiological contaminants testing (e.g. ELISA kit based testing or Enzyme Linked Immuno Sorbent Assay testing)
- metal contaminants testing (e.g. lead, mercury, cadmium, chromium, arsenic)
- pesticide testing (e.g. organochlorine, organophosphorus, carbamates, pyrethroids)
- solvent residue testing (e.g. methanol, isopropanol)
- mycotoxin testing (e.g. aflatoxin, ochratoxin)
“American and European dietary supplement companies source a majority of their raw ingredients from Chinese suppliers. NSF International’s Shanghai laboratory can help companies source safer, higher quality ingredients while helping Chinese dietary ingredient manufacturers identify themselves as good suppliers to global companies,” said Lori Bestervelt, Ph.D., NSF International Senior Vice President and Chief Technical Officer.
Additional testing services for the food, water, and consumer products industries:
In addition to dietary supplement ingredients, the NSF Shanghai Testing Laboratory is also accredited to offer testing services for:
- Foodservice equipment: Food equipment is tested and evaluated to U.S. and international standards for sanitation, product design and construction, material safety, and performance including corrosion resistance, abrasion resistance, impact testing, heat resistance, adhesion ability and temperature performance testing. Additionally, testing to FDA, EU and LFGB regulations is carried out on food contact materials such as PE, ABS, PVC, ceramic, paper and stainless steel.
- Home kitchen products and appliances: Consumer products (such as food storage containers, cutlery and glassware, and small appliances) are tested and evaluated according to NSF protocols and international standards to verify quality, performance and material safety.
- Consumer products and cosmetics testing: Consumer products are tested and evaluated for both quality and performance. This testing confirms product durability and verifies that the product will perform as claimed on its packaging. Toys are tested to ASTM, CPSC, EN 71 and GB regulations and phthalates, heavy metals, flammability and mechanical tests. Cosmetics are tested to FDA, 76/768EEC and GB regulations and for pesticides, heavy metals. Label reviews and sensory testing is also conducted.
- Water treatment & distribution systems, plumbing, and drinking water treatment products: Any products that treat or come into contact with drinking water such as water filters, plumbing components, pipes, faucets and water treatment chemicals, are tested to NSF and international standards for health, safety and performance. This includes VOC, pesticides, disinfector, sensory test, turbidity and pH testing.
Two additional resources that complement NSF’s Testing Services include:
- The NSF Dietary Supplement Sourcing Guide helps companies source safer products from supply chain partners compliant to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) regulations. To download a copy of the latest NSF Sourcing Guide, visit NSF’s website or booth #238 at Expo West to obtain a copy.
NSF-DBA GMP Trainings targeting dietary supplement professionals to help them guide their companies with GMP compliance:
- FDA Inspection Readiness
- SOP and Record Keeping for Compliance to 21 CFR 111
For more information about NSF International’s dietary supplement testing, certification and training programs contact:
- US: David Trosin at firstname.lastname@example.org + 1 734-827-6856
- EU: Veerle Willems at email@example.com or +32 2761 7400
- CHINA: Joe Zhou at firstname.lastname@example.org +86-21-24286300-1108
Note to Editors: The following NSF experts will be available for interviews at Expo West or by phone. To schedule an interview with an NSF expert, or for more information on NSF International’s operations in China, please contact Greta Houlahan at +1 734.913.5723 or email@example.com.
- Lori Bestervelt, NSF Chief Technical Officer and Senior Vice President, NSF Health Sciences Division
- Ed Wyszumiala, General Manager of NSF Dietary Supplement Certification Programs
- Casey Coy, Dietary Supplements Specialist Partner at NSF-DBA, an NSF International company with more than 25 years of expertise in dietary supplement, pharmaceutical and medical device training.
- Alex Zhang, Managing Director of NSF Asia Pacific
More information about the NSF Shanghai Testing Laboratory is available at www.nsfchinalab.org/en.
About NSF International: NSF International is a global independent organization that writes standards, tests and certifies products for the dietary supplement, food, water and consumer goods industries to minimize adverse health effects and protect the environment (nsf.org). Founded in 1944, NSF is committed to protecting human health and safety worldwide. NSF is a World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Food and Water Safety and Indoor Environment.
NSF developed the only American national standard for dietary supplements (NSF/ANSI 173), and tests and certifies products to this standard. The NSF Certified for Sport program takes the dietary supplement program a step further by testing products for more than 165 prohibited and banned substances. The NSF Certified for Sport® program is recognized by major sports organizations such as the NFL, MLB, and their player associations, PGA, LPGA, NCAA and the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) to help ensure the sports supplements their athletes use are free of banned substances.
Additional NSF services include NSF Education and Training, safety audits for the food and water industries, NSF Sustainability, organic certification provided by QAI (Quality Assurance International) and management systems registrations delivered through NSF International Strategic Registrations (NSF-ISR).