Eco-Efficiency Analysis (EEA)
- Benefits of Validation
- Why Work With NSF Sustainability?
- Validation Process
- Verified Analyses
- Validated Methodologies
An eco-efficiency analysis (EEA) provides businesses and organizations a tool for more fully measuring the footprint of their products or processes. This analysis evaluates the economic and environmental impacts of a product or process through its anticipated life cycle. Eco-efficiency analyses rely on the concepts outlined in the life cycle assessment (LCA) standards developed by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) (ISO 14040 through 14043). A key difference is that eco-efficiency analyses evaluate both environmental burdens and economic costs, whereas ISO LCAs evaluate only environmental burdens.
To provide independent, third-party reviews of EEA analyses, NSF International, along with an expert panel of sustainability and eco-efficiency professionals, developed NSF Protocol P352: Validation and Verification of Eco-Efficiency Analyses. Utilizing this protocol, we validate EEA methodologies and verify EEA studies for products.
BASF Corporation's EEA methodology is the first to meet NSF P352 protocol requirements (see Verified Analyses for a list of all NSF verified eco-efficiency analyses).
What Is an Eco-Efficiency Analysis?
The term eco-efficiency was developed in 1992 by the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD). It is applied as a management philosophy that encourages business to develop and commercialize products with environmental improvements that also yield economic benefits. NSF Protocol P352: Validation and Verification of Eco-Efficiency Analyses addresses eco-efficiency analyses at a product category level (versus an organizational level).
Download a copy of the NSF Protocol P352 Q&A PDF.
For more information on eco-efficiency analysis or a quote for services, call +1 734.476.2543 or email email@example.com.
Benefits of Validation
Our eco-efficiency analysis (EEA) methodologies and studies provide your business a method to achieve comprehensive environmental and economic data around your products. An EEA that meets the NSF Protocol P352 requirements can accurately analyze a product and provide credible baseline data. From that baseline, you can prioritize environmental footprint or cost reduction efforts, support sustainable marketing claims or identify broader process optimization targets. The level of detail and data provided is far beyond that available in a life cycle analysis and can be the basis for attaining higher sustainability goals.
Why Work With NSF Sustainability?For nearly 70 years, NSF’s mission has been to protect public health. NSF has developed over 80 standards and 20 protocols, and annually tests and certifies over 225,000 products in 100 countries. NSF’s standards are accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and the company is accredited by the International Accreditation Service (IAS), the International Standardization Organization (ISO) and Standards Council of Canada (SCC), among others.
Our process for validating eco-efficiency analysis (EEA) methodologies and verifying EEA studies consists of seven steps:
- Your company applies and submits information pertaining to your study methods.
- We evaluate the content of the application package against P352 requirements to ensure completeness and representativeness.
- We perform a quality assessment on data and calculations to ensure accuracy. Selected data may undergo an independent audit, if necessary.
- We evaluate the documentation report or study findings to ensure transparency.
- An independent life cycle analysis (LCA) expert conducts a critical review to determine whether the methodology or study findings follow accepted LCA principles. (We can facilitate this external review.)
- Your company addresses NSF and critical reviewer findings and submits a final report.
- After initial certification, your company must re-certify every three years to keep your methodology validation and study verification current.
BASF Corporation's eco-efficiency analysis methodology is the first to meet the NSF P352 protocol requirements. Verified BASF analyses include:
- Retail Shopping Carts (January 2015)
- BiGro Colored Mulch Eco-Efficiency Analysis (October 2014)
- Residential Food Waste Disposal (September 2014)
- Controlled Release Fertilizers Eco-efficiency Analysis (December 2013 - Revised)
- Controlled Release Fertilizers Eco-efficiency Analysis (September 2013)
- U.S. Beef – Phase 1 Eco-efficiency Analysis (May 2013)
- Green Sense® Concrete Eco-Efficiency Analysis (April 2013)
- Corn Production in Iowa AgBalance™ Eco-Efficiency Analysis (February 2013)
- Incontinence Bed Pads Eco-Efficiency Analysis (October 2012)
- Friction Modifiers for Gasoline Eco-efficiency Analysis (October, 2012)
- Compost Value Eco-Efficiency Analysis (June 2012)
- DELVO® Stabilizer Eco-Efficiency Analysis (March 2012)
- Termidor® Termiticide Eco-Efficiency Analysis (November 2011)
- Chip-Seal Eco-Efficiency Analysis (November 2011)
- Almond Eco-Efficiency Analysis (August 2011)
- JONCRYL® Water-Based Polymers for Film Eco-Efficiency Analysis (December 2010)
- Headline® Fungicide Eco-Efficiency Analysis (August 2010)
- Synthetic Turf Eco-Efficiency Analysis (August 2010)
- Micro Surfacing Eco-Efficiency Analysis (July 2010)
- Residential Insulation Eco-Efficiency Analysis (June 2010)
- Walltite ECO® Insulation Air Barrier and Vapor Barrier System (November 2011 Update)
- Walltite ECO™ Insulation Air Barrier and Vapor Barrier System Eco-Efficiency Analysis (February 2010)
Download a copy of the Environmental Claims Validation Services brochure.
BASF Corporation's eco-efficiency validated methodologies are the first to meet the NSF P352 protocol requirements. Validated BASF methodologies include:
- 1 week ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. and SOUDERTON, Pa. – Sustainable Waste Solutions (SWS) has earned landfill-free verification from NSF Sustainability, a division...
- 4 months ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — NSF Sustainability, a division of global independent public health organization NSF International, has certified ergonomics company...
- 6 months ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — NSF Sustainability, the division of NSF International that provides sustainability standards development, testing, certification and claims...