U.S. EPA Safer Choice Labeling
- Why Work With NSF?
- Review Process
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Safer Choice program (formerly known as Design for the Environment) recognizes products that meet stringent ingredient- and product-level criteria. Safer Choice products do not contain known carcinogens, reproductive or developmental toxicants – and all components are reviewed against Safer Choice criteria. Even minor product components, like dyes and fragrances, are screened for safety.
NSF is the largest third-party Safer Choice reviewer of products. We perform ingredient-by-ingredient reviews of product formulations to screen for chemicals that may present serious health or environmental effects and recommend safer substitutes for chemicals of concern. Products for review include:
Cleaning products including:
- All-purpose cleaners
- Window cleaners
- Tub/tile cleaners
- Laundry detergents
- Floor care products
- Pet care products
- Car care products
- Hand soap
- And more
Download a case study:
- Safer Choice Recognition Helps a Degreaser Clean Up
- R&D Tablet-Maker a Trailblazer in Safer, Greener Cleaning Products
For more information about Safer Choice product reviews or for a quote on services, call +1 734.476.2543 or email email@example.com.
To find Safer Choice labeled products, visit the Safer Choice website.
When you see the Safer Choice label on a product, it means that all ingredients have been successfully screened for potential human health and environmental effects and the product meets all performance and packaging requirements. The Safer Choice mark enables consumers to quickly identify and choose products that can help protect the environment and are safer for people and the planet. The Safer Choice program includes:
- A focus on product chemistry and identifying safer chemicals
- Rigorous performance testing requirements that ensure the product performs but is also safer
- Ingredient disclosure for consumers with all ingredients listed on the product label, on a company website listing or through an 800 number
- On-site and desk audits (both triennially) conducted to ensure that products remain compliant
- A program logo that allows purchasers and users to quickly identify safer products that do not sacrifice quality or performance
Why Work With NSF?
NSF Sustainability has been providing third-party reviews and services for businesses since 2006 and is the largest third-party reviewer for the Safer Choice program. We provide fast, credible and cost-effective reviews against EPA’s rigorous criteria to ensure that ingredients meet the requirements of the program.
The NSF Sustainability team is ready to help you gain the competitive advantage of Safer Choice labeling in the marketplace. We offer:
- Reliable, consistent results with exceptional customer service
- Full summaries of each ingredient profile including fate, ecotoxicity and human health concerns
- Suggested alternatives to chemicals of concern
- Proprietary ingredient reports directly to suppliers
Your product deserves recognition in the marketplace and NSF can help you achieve it.
The Safer Choice review process involves these steps:
- Your company submits an application to NSF. We send you a quote for the review process and a contract.
- To begin the Safer Choice review, your company returns the signed quote and contract to NSF with the deposit.
- We review your product(s) against the Safer Choice criteria and provide feedback.
- We forward all supporting information of your product(s) to Safer Choice for final approval and recognition in the Safer Choice program.
- Once all the reviews are complete, and if your product is approved, your company signs a three-year partnership agreement with Safer Choice and is granted Safer Choice recognition, including listing your product on the Safer Choice website.
- We schedule annual audits and notify you of renewal of your product review(s).
NSF International Finalizes First Environmental Product Declaration for PPG’s Architectural Coatings
- 2 months ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – NSF Sustainability, a division of global public health organization NSF International, has verified an environmental product...
- 5 months ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. and MASON, Ohio – NSF Sustainability, a division of global public health organization NSF International, has certified...
- 1 year ago
ANN ARBOR and GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — NSF International, a global public health and safety organization, and the NSF Council...