NSF/ANSI 140: Sustainability Assessment for Carpet
- Benefits of Certification
- Why Work With NSF Sustainability?
- Certification Process
NSF/ANSI 140: Sustainability Assessment for Carpet is the industry-leading standard for sustainability evaluation and certification of carpet products across their entire life cycle. In fact, the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) now requires all broadloom and carpet tile purchased by the U.S. government to be certified to NSF /ANSI 140 at the Gold certification level.
What is NSF/ANSI 140?
NSF/ANSI 140: Sustainability Assessment for Carpet was developed by the NSF National Center for Sustainability Standards (NCSS) through a consensus-based public process with a multi-stakeholder group of participants. This standard provides a market-based definition and path to more sustainable carpet through performance requirements for the individual product and the manufacturing organization.
Based on life-cycle assessment principles, NSF/ANSI 140 employs a point system to evaluate commercial carpet products against established prerequisite requirements, performance criteria and quantifiable metrics in six key areas:
- Public health and environment
- Energy and energy efficiency
- Biobased, recycled content materials and environmentally preferable materials
- Reclamation and end-of-life management
To learn more about the standard, download the NSF/ANSI 140 carpet brochure. For more information on certification to NSF/ANSI 140 or to request a quote, call +1 734.476.2543 or email email@example.com.
Benefits of Certification
NSF/ANSI 140 certification allows you to:
- Distinguish your "green" products from your competitors’, making you a preferred vendor to those seeking sustainable solutions
- Meet state and federal procurement guidelines for sustainable products
- Achieve the most credible type of certification available in the marketplace
- Save money by adopting more sustainable operational practices and business approaches
Certification is based on point totals to achieve a Silver, Gold or Platinum level. Manufacturers certified by NSF are authorized to use the NSF Sustainability Certified mark on their products and in their advertising.
To learn more about the standard, download the NSF/ANSI 140 carpet brochure.
Why Work With NSF Sustainability?
With nearly 70 years of laboratory testing, product reviews, validation and technical excellence, NSF is a preferred third-party certification body for businesses and organizations. We know the requirements and intent behind all the NSF/ANSI 140 criteria and can guide you through the certification process to achieve cost-effective, reliable and consistently high quality results.
We are also a leading worldwide third-party registrar for ISO 14001, ISO 9001 and OHSAS 18001, and we provide social accountability audits and greenhouse gas verification services. With our large network of international auditors, we can conduct audits in over 100 countries and provide you with global market access for your products and services.
NSF has helped thousands of manufacturers obtain both local and international market access by evaluating products to meet the requirements of multiple product standards. We certify products to sustainable standards using a simple six-step process:
- Your company completes the application process and submits signed documents to NSF.
- With our guidance, your company submits documentation for an off-site document review.
- We conduct an off-site documentation review and provide feedback and data analysis prior to the on-site audit.
- We conduct an on-site audit of the manufacturing facility(s).
- Once all follow up is complete, we grant certification and list your certified products on the NSF website.
- We schedule annual surveillance audits and notify you of recertification.
Our experts can help you reduce overall costs and expedite your time to market by bundling services, which can reduce the number of contracted service providers and required facility audits.
Related to NSF/ANSI 140: Sustainability Assessment for Carpet
- 3 months ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. and SOUDERTON, Pa. – NSF Sustainability, a division of the global public health organization NSF International, has...
- 4 months ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The Natural Stone Council (NSC), an organization that promotes the use of natural stone in commercial,...
- 4 months ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — NSF Sustainability, a division of the global public health organization NSF International, has certified nearly 900...