NSF/ANSI 342: Sustainability Assessment for Wallcoverings
- Benefits of Certification
- Why Work With NSF Sustainability?
- Certification Process
NSF/ANSI 342: Sustainability Assessment for Wallcovering Products is the foremost standard to evaluate and certify the sustainability of wallcovering products across their entire life cycle. The standard covers materials such as textiles, vinyl, alternative polymer (or vinyl- or alternative polymer-coated), paper and other natural fiber products. NSF/ANSI 342 was developed by the NSF National Center for Sustainability Standards (NCSS) through a consensus-based public process with a multi-stakeholder group.
The NSF/ANSI 342 standard assigns point values to prerequisite requirements and elective criteria in a number of categories. Unique to this standard is the requirement to combine points from both the manufacturer and distributor to determine the certification level as Conformant, Silver, Gold or Platinum. Each organization is responsible for its own rating and applies for evaluation individually.
Manufacturers are evaluated on categories including:
- Raw material inputs
- Indoor air quality
- Product recyclability
- Energy use
Distributors must follow environmentally-preferable practices in areas including:
- Product distribution
- Recycling infrastructure support
- Waste minimization
- Corporate governance
To learn more about the standard, download the NSF/ANSI 342 wallcoverings brochure. For more information on certification to NSF/ANSI 342 or to request a quote, call +1 734.476.2543 or email email@example.com.
Benefits of Certification
NSF certification offers wallcovering manufacturers and distributors the potential to increase their competitive edge and unique branding opportunities in the green marketplace. NSF/ANSI 342 certification also gives customers such as architects and designers a way of identifying and comparing sustainable products.
NSF/ANSI 342 certification allows you to:
- Distinguish your "green" products from your competitors’, making you a preferred vendor to those seeking sustainable solutions
- Meet state and federal procurement guidelines for more sustainable products
- Achieve the most credible type of certification available in the marketplace
- Save money by adopting more sustainable operational practices and business approaches
Certification is based on point totals from both the manufacturer and distributor to achieve Conformant, Silver, Gold or Platinum level for individual products. Manufacturers that are members of the Wallcoverings Association (WA) are authorized to use the WA NSF 342 mark while nonmembers are authorized to use the NSF Sustainability Certified mark on both their products and for advertising purposes.
To learn more about the standard, download the NSF/ANSI 342 wallcoverings brochure.
Why Work With NSF Sustainability?
With nearly 70 years of laboratory testing, product reviews, validation and technical excellence, NSF is a preferred third-party certification body for businesses and organizations. We know the requirements and intent behind all the NSF/ANSI 342 criteria and can guide you through the certification process to achieve cost-effective, reliable and consistently high quality results.
We are also a leading worldwide third-party registrar for ISO 14001, ISO 9001 and OHSAS 18001, and we provide social accountability audits and greenhouse gas verification services. With our large network of international auditors, we can conduct audits in over 100 countries and provide you with global market access for your products and services.
We certify products to sustainable standards using a simple six-step process:
- Your company completes the application process and submits signed documents to NSF.
- With our guidance, your company submits documentation for an off-site document review.
- We conduct an off-site documentation review and provide feedback and data analysis prior to the on-site audit.
- We conduct an on-site audit of the manufacturing facility(s).
- Once all follow up is complete, we grant certification and list your certified products on the NSF website.
- We schedule annual surveillance audits and notify you of recertification.
Note: Certification of a wallcovering product is only met through compliance of both a manufacturer and a distributor.
Our experts can help you reduce overall costs and expedite your time to market by bundling services, which can reduce the number of contracted service providers and required facility audits.
- 2 months ago
ANN ARBOR and GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — NSF International, a global public health and safety organization, and the NSF Council...
- 3 months ago
Sustainability standards developed by global public health organization NSF International for carpet, wall coverings, resilient flooring, textiles, roofing and stone...
- 4 months ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Global public health organization NSF International is among the first organizations to be recognized by the...