ISO 50001 Energy Management Systems Certification
- Benefits of Certification
- Why Work With NSF?
- Certification Process
The ISO 50001 energy management system (EnMS) standard helps organizations establish systems and processes necessary to improve energy performance. It can apply to any size or type of organization. The purpose of this new international standard is to:
- Provide a framework for incorporating energy efficiency into management practices
- Reduce energy-related operational costs through improvements in energy process efficiencies
- Support energy conservation through the effective use of energy sources
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Improve energy procurement practices
The standard is based on the common elements found in many ISO management systems standards, which assures compatibility and easier integration with ISO 9001 (quality) and ISO 14001 (environmental) management systems and other equivalent standards.
For more information, call toll free (U.S. only) 888.673.9000, ext. 6881 or worldwide +1 734.827.6881 or email email@example.com.
Benefits of Certification
Several benefits result from an effectively implemented energy management system:
- Significant cost savings from energy reductions
- Continual improvement through the process of analyzing data relating to past and current energy sources, energy use and energy consumption
- Structured methods for identifying energy performance indicators, setting objectives and targets, implementing actions to meet objectives, and periodic measurement and reporting on energy performance
- Evaluation and prioritization of new energy-efficient technologies to accomplish goals
- GHG emission reductions through more efficient energy use
- Independent verification of the organization's energy management practices for internal and external stakeholders
Why Work With NSF?
Our approach ensures that audits focus on performance, not just strict conformance. NSF-ISR is focused on value-added auditing. Our auditors can help your organization ensure that KPIs and performance measures are driving the results you expect. Our stringent auditor training and ongoing evaluations also ensure audit consistency. NSF can also help your organization publicize your achievement of system certification.
The NSF Online Web-based interface allows our clients to see audit reports and schedules, respond to auditors and benchmark performance with management reports and graphical dashboards. Experienced auditors, superior management tools and a focus on client performance make NSF-ISR your preferred registrar.
The NSF-ISR ISO 50001 energy management systems certification process consists of these steps:
- Application and Contract
Your company submits an application and signs a contract (master agreement).
- Audit Team Assignment
NSF-ISR assigns an auditor team.
- Document Review
We perform a document review (when required) for the management system (MS) and issue a report of conformance or nonconformance.
- On-Site Readiness Review (ORR-Stage 1 Audit)
As the first stage of the certification process, NSF-ISR verifies readiness of the MS to continue with the certification process.
- Certification Audit (Stage 2)
Our audit team conducts an on-site audit to verify conformity to the specified standard.
- Independent Review
A certification board reviewer recommends the final certification/recertification decision.
- Notification of Certification
We notify your organization in writing, issue the certificate and publish the certification in our online listings.
- Surveillance Audits
NSF-ISR performs semiannual or annual audits to verify the MS is being maintained.
NSF-ISR performs reassessment audits in accordance with requirements.
- 1 year ago
NSF International Strategic Registrations (NSF-ISR) has received accreditation from the ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board (ANAB) for ISO 9001:2015, Quality management...
- 3 years ago
View news release in Arabic ABU DHABI, UAE and ANN ARBOR, Mich. USA - NSF International, a global independent public...
- 3 years ago
Download the infographic ANN ARBOR, Mich. — NSF International, a global independent public health organization that writes standards, and tests...
What is ISO 50001?
ISO 50001 is a voluntary standard that provides an internationally recognized framework for organizations to manage and improve energy performance. The standard does not set prescriptive energy goals, but provides a framework for companies to set their own goals for energy management.
What are the benefits of an ISO 50001 Energy Management System (EnMS)?
Cost reduction is a top priority driving companies to focus on energy use. A second reason is competitive advantage. Energy can be one of the largest controllable costs. ISO 50001 EnMS benefits include:
- Improved energy efficiency and potential energy savings
- A framework for integrating energy efficiency and conservation into operations and general management practices
- Reduced greenhouse gases (GHGs)
- Ability to meet mandates from customers to reduce energy and carbon emissions
- Compliance to current or future regulations
- Independent verification of the organization’s and communication on the energy management practices
- Alignment with corporate sustainability goals
Is ISO 50001 similar to any other management systems certifications?
Yes, ISO 50001 and ISO 14001 share many common elements that could speed the integration of an ISO 50001 management system in an organization already actively managing an ISO 14001 certified environmental management system. Both are based on the Plan-Do-Check-Act approach to continual improvement.