- Benefits of Verification
- Why Work With NSF?
- Verification Process
The responsible and sustainable use of our resources has been a concern for businesses and society for decades, and the diversion of waste from landfill is one of the more significant environmental issues facing society today. Achieving landfill-free status is a significant accomplishment and companies demonstrating environmental leadership and social responsibility can now have their environmental claim verified through a reputable, independent third party.
The NSF-ISR Landfill-Free Program establishes uniform criteria to evaluate and verify an organization's waste management processes and grants recognition to companies that can demonstrate that less than 1 percent of process waste is being sent to landfill.
Download the case study to find out how West Liberty Foods, an Iowa-based foodservice company, earned landfill-free status for its Tremonton, Utah processing facility through third-party verification from NSF-ISR.
Benefits of Verification
NSF-ISR's Landfill-Free Program provides your organization:
- Full transparency around your waste reduction efforts
- Credibility of verification by a trusted third-party certification body, NSF-ISR
- Marketplace recognition for companies that undertake third-party verification
Take the next step and get your landfill-free status verified by NSF-ISR.
Why Work With NSF?
NSF-ISR’s Landfill-Free Program provides a structured process to help your organization identify and quantify your waste streams, and upon successful certification, get recognition for your achievement of being landfill-free. We define the necessary steps of the verification process and the criteria for a landfill-free claim. Our experienced professionals work with you to review and evaluate your waste management processes in a constructive and collaborative manner that promotes improvement. The verification provides your claim of landfill-free the full credibility of the NSF-ISR name.
Becoming verified under the NSF-ISR Landfill-Free Program involves these steps:
- Your company submits an application, receives a quote and signs an agreement for NSF-ISR verification.
- We assign a verification team.
- We perform a documentation review to determine adequacy and readiness to undergo a verification assessment.
- We conduct an on-site planning (stage 1) audit to determine the level of implementation of processes and the readiness of the facility for the full stage 2 audit, and to collect information to plan the stage 2 audit.
- We conduct an on-site verification (stage 2) audit to verify the landfill-free claim.
- We issue an assessment report and, if applicable, you complete corrective actions to address any program/process issues.
- We issue the certificate, which is valid for one year.
- We perform annual reassessment audits in accordance with requirements.
- 4 weeks ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — NSF Sustainability, the division of NSF International that provides sustainability standards development, testing, certification and claims...
- 5 months ago
View news release in Arabic ABU DHABI, UAE and ANN ARBOR, Mich. USA - NSF International, a global independent public...
- 10 months ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. and SOUDERTON, Pa. – NSF Sustainability, a division of the global public health organization NSF International, has...