Raised Without Antibiotics
This certification brings credibility and consistency to the on-package claim and covers all animal products such as meat, poultry, seafood, fish, dairy and eggs.
Studies suggest over half of the antibiotics in the U.S. are used in animal food production. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the overuse of antibiotics in both human and veterinary medicine has led to the development of superbugs — bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics. The rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria has been identified as a high-priority public health concern by the WHO, United Nations and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A recent Consumer Reports survey found that 43% of shoppers always or often buy meat raised without antibiotics at the grocery store.
Dual certifications to NSF’s Raised Without Antibiotics and Global Animal Wellness Standards require just one audit at your facility.
Benefits of Certification
- Differentiate your products with NSF’s independently verified Raised Without Antibiotics (RWA) certification mark
- Build consumer loyalty with the 59% of U.S. shoppers looking for antibiotic-free labels
- Support sustainable agricultural practices that resonate with issue-conscious consumers
- Leverage NSF’s 75 years of food safety and quality expertise
- Save by bundling NSF certifications: Apply for QAI organic, non-GMO or gluten-free certification along with RWA for reduced pricing and audit efficiencies
- Get dual certification for RWA and NSF’s Global Animal Wellness Standards, requiring just one audit at your facility
NSF’s RWA program includes three categories of certification to accommodate the differences in global regulatory definitions of antibiotics:
- Category A - Ionophores allowed; chemical coccidiostats allowed
- Category B - Ionophores prohibited; chemical coccidiostats prohibited
- Category C - Ionophores prohibited; chemical coccidiostats allowed
Ready to Begin the Process?
Contact us with questions or to receive a quote.
News and Events
NSF and JD Fresh Held Raised Without Antibiotics and Food Safety Assurance Forum in China
November 22, 2019
On October 30, NSF and JD Fresh signed a memorandum of understanding during the China Fisheries and Seafood Expo in Qingdao. Both parties committed to promote Raised Without Antibiotics certification in China, to implement the “One Certification, Recognized Everywhere” initiative proposed by the Certification and Accreditation Administration of the People's Republic of China and to promote the application of China-HACCP in the domestic supplier management system. JD Fresh, China’s leading fresh food e-commerce platform, is committed to giving priority to companies that have obtained NSF certifications.
NSF International Launches Raised Without Antibiotics Certification
May 3, 2017
Clean Water Crusader Joseph Cotruvo Earns 2020 Environmental Health Award From NSF International and NEHA
July 30, 2020
United Poly Systems Earns First NSF Certification for HDPE Electrical Conduit
July 29, 2020