CleanGredients® Ingredient Reviews
NSF has partnered with the GreenBlue® Institute to perform third-party reviews of chemical ingredients. CleanGredients® is an online database of cleaning product ingredient chemicals that provides verified information about the environmental and human health attributes of the listed ingredients.
The CleanGredients® database of chemical ingredient formulations has been pre-approved by the U.S. EPA to meet the criteria of their Safer Choice Standard, designed to safeguard human and environmental health
Benefits of CleanGredients®
The CleanGredients.org online database for chemical ingredients helps suppliers, manufacturers and the public identify and utilize ingredients that have potential environmental and/or human health and safety benefits. The CleanGredients® logo is trusted by suppliers to communicate the benefits of their product to customers.
As the leading third-party reviewer for the CleanGredients® program, NSF Sustainability provides timely, credible and cost-effective reviews for suppliers to verify that their ingredients are safer for the environment and public health.
Features of CleanGredients®
Reduce Development Costs: Centralize marketing and selection of preferable chemistry.
Standardize Supply Chain Communication: One-stop-shop for green chemistry communication in the supply chain.
Leverage Market Demand for Green Products: Definitive source of Safer Choice pre-screened chemicals, streamlining the creation of new products that meet market criteria.
Credible: Detailed, unbiased, independently verified data.
Ease of Use: Simple, user-friendly interface.
Flexible: Demonstrate compliance with various standards, eco-labels or corporate sustainability reporting requirements.
Secure: Reporting attributes without sharing proprietary information.
Increased Choice: A variety of chemicals from many leading chemical suppliers.
Criteria for a CleanGredients® Review
NSF provides confidential reviews of surfactants, solvents, fragrances, chelating agents and any other formulation ingredient using the safer ingredient criteria defined by CleanGredients® and the U.S. EPA Safer Choice program. The database helps formulators find safer ingredients and allows manufacturers to showcase their ingredients. CleanGredients® is a main industry resource for cleaning product formulators.
The CleanGredients® listing program includes a five-step process:
- Your company submits an application to NSF. We send you a contract and quote for the review process.
- To begin the CleanGredients® review, your company returns the signed quote and contract to NSF.
- We review your ingredient(s) against the applicable ingredient class criteria and provide feedback.
- We forward all supporting information of your ingredient(s) to the EPA’s Safer Choice program for final approval and listing on CleanGredients®.
- Once the reviews are complete, the ingredient, if approved, will be listed on the CleanGredients® website for 3 years and we will notify you of your renewal review.