LEAF Marque Certification
As sustainability continues to rise on the global agenda, an increasing number of retailers are now requiring their suppliers to have environmental management certification as a pre-condition to supply them with goods. Many certificate holders undertake this process because they are great advocates of this balanced and environmentally positive farming ethos.
Linking Environment and Farming (LEAF) Marque is a leading global assurance system that certifies products that have been produced in an environmentally responsible and sustainable way.
Why Do You Need LEAF Marque?
Agriculture is facing many challenges, the more the industry can engage the general public about the positive impacts farmers have on the environment, their reputation of being not solely food producers, but also custodians of our countryside can only improve. In a constantly changing and developing world, LEAF Marque Scheme is truly a step in the right direction.
What is LEAF Marque?
LEAF Marque is a farm certification standard owned by the charity Linking Environment and Food. The charity’s vision is for a global farming and food system that delivers climate positive action, builds resilience, and supports the health, diversity and enrichment of our food, farms, the environment, and society.
Your business must have an approved baseline GAP standard for each product. It recognizes Red Tractor standards in the UK and GLOBALG.A.P. IFA standards worldwide. This avoids repetition of requirements, and ensures that the whole farm approach is taken, requiring all commercial enterprises on the farm to have relevant baseline GAP certification. It is governed by seven key areas. By enhancing these areas, you will be able to monitor your performance, identify strengths and weaknesses, and set targets for improvement across your business.
Key Benefits of Obtaining the LEAF Marque Certification
- Environmentally Sustainable Practices: LEAF Marque certification promotes practices that protect and enhance the environment. Farmers and businesses that obtain this certification are recognized for their efforts in implementing sustainable farming practices such as soil protection, water management, biodiversity, energy efficiency, and pollution control.
- Market Recognition: The LEAF Marque is a widely recognized symbol of environmental responsibility and sustainability. This can increase the market value of products and businesses, opening new opportunities, and potentially leading to an increase in sales and profitability.
- Consumer Trust: The LEAF Marque can increase trust among consumers. People are increasingly concerned about the environmental impact of the products they buy. Having the LEAF Marque certification can reassure customers that the product has been produced in a way that is mindful of its environmental footprint.
- Improved Supply Chain Relations: Suppliers and buyers are increasingly demanding evidence of environmental responsibility from their partners. Having the LEAF Marque certification can strengthen relationships with supply chain partners and can be a prerequisite for doing business with certain organizations.
- Continual Improvement: The LEAF Marque certification is not just a one-time thing; it involves ongoing assessments, encouraging continual improvement in environmental performance.
- Greater Access to Certain Markets: Some markets, especially those in Europe, favor products that are LEAF Marque certified. Therefore, having this certification can provide easier access to these markets.
- Risk Management: By following LEAF's Integrated Farm Management (IFM) principles, farmers and businesses can better manage risks related to environmental compliance and sustainability.
- Enhancing Employee Morale: By working for a business that is environmentally responsible, employees can take pride in their work, which can improve morale and productivity.
Why Choose NSF?
NSF are a UKAS accredited certification body for Red Tractor standard, GLOBALG.A.P. IFA and LEAF Marque, enabling us to deliver all your certification needs in one assessment.
We work closely with the standard owners to ensure our assessors are experts in interpreting the requirements, and are the largest individual CB delivering Combinable Crops, Fresh Produce and all GLOBALG.A.P. scopes alongside LEAF Marque for which we are the market leader.
If you work with an existing CB that cannot offer LEAF Marque, we can deliver that based on their baseline GAP certification, or you can transfer that certification over to us for a joined up single assessment.
With over 770 certified farms globally, our experts are ready to work with you.
How To Gain Certification
Step 1 – Join the charity, LEAF Join LEAF | LEAF (Linking Environment and Farming)
Step 2 – Once joined you have access to complete the LEAF Sustainable Farm Review (LSFR). This needs to be completed no more than 9 months before your assessment.
Step 3 – Prepare: Using the information in the LSFR and the LEAF Marque standard, check how you are going to comply with each of the Essential standards within.
Step 4 – Complete your registration form for the LEAF Marque standard with NSF – This is in addition to Step 1, joining the charity.
Step 5 – Have your annual inspection – Wherever possible we will deliver this with your baseline GAP standard certification assessment, for efficiency and cost saving.
Step 6 – Close out any non-conformances. For your first assessment, there is a 3-month timescale to do this, subsequently assessments have a 28-day timescale.
Step 7 – Certificate issue – You are now a Certified LEAF Marque producer.
Step 8 – Environmentally responsible farming – Carry on the good work.
Step 9 – Repeat: Each year you’ll complete your LSFR, and update your details with us, we’ll continue to deliver your assessment to the latest version of the standard.
LEAF Marque certification provides a comprehensive set of benefits for businesses, from improving market opportunities and consumer trust, to encouraging more sustainable and responsible farming practices.