NSF/ANSI 455-2: Dietary Supplements
NSF International is transitioning clients from its current GMP registration (NSF/ANSI 173 Section 8) to NSF/ANSI 455 GMP certification to be able to certify facilities to a consensus-based national standard, and to allow manufacturers to reduce their annual audit burden.
We are currently accepting applications for audits for dietary supplements (NSF /ANSI 455-2), and the current dietary supplement GMP registration will be phased out entirely by 2022.
The updates to the NSF/ANSI 173 GMP registration for dietary supplements audits implemented in 2019 were the first step toward this new standard, and incorporated many of the audit requirements of NSF/ANSI 455-2. For manufacturers, the key differences between GMP registration and the NSF/ANSI 455 GMP certification are:
- The leading GMP audits for dietary supplements, cosmetics and OTC drugs based on current Good Manufacturing Practices and current federal regulations for each scope
- A defined audit process that determines audit duration, timeline for CAR reviews and ongoing monitoring requirements
- A grading system based on the number and severity of non-conformances
- Best industry practices based on retailer requirements
- Certification recognized by the Global Retailer and Manufacturer Alliance (GRMA) made up of leading retailers, manufacturers and other stakeholders
Transition smoothly from NSF/ANSI 173 GMP registration to NSF/ANSI 455-2.
To help you understand this new international standard for Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), NSF has developed resources to simplify your migration process.
If you are a current NSF client, please check the Announcements section of your NSF Connect portal for additional tools.
Roadmap to Certification: We’ve down each section of the standard to make the move to NSF/ANSI 455-2 more straightforward and provide background information about the standard.
FAQ: Our team of experts have answered a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) for your convenience.
NSF/ANSI 455 Process Overview: Offers a clear overview of the process in becoming NSF/ANSI 455-2 certified.
Transition Guide: Contains a full overview of NSF/ANSI 455-2 GMP certification, a comparison chart of the new standard vs. GMP registration, a transition timeline and a detailed comparison table of audit templates.
Information Guide: Contains facts about NSF/ANSI 455-2, key changes from NSF/ANSI173 GMP registration and information about how to prepare for the new standard.
Other Resources in Development
Please check back periodically for additional tools to help you throughout the migration process.