For the second year in a row, NSF has been named to the 2019 Top Green Providers list by Food Logistics. The annual award recognizes companies whose products, services or exemplary environmental stewardship promote sustainability in the food and beverage industry.
“A main focus in 2019 has been the support of regenerative agriculture practices across the food industry,” said Joshua Brugeman, Program Manager for Sustainability at NSF. “Through projects with the Regenerative Organic Alliance and the Soil Carbon Initiative, as well as broader work with companies to accelerate their progress, NSF is working hard to help further sustainable practices for organizations around the world.”
Along with special projects and sustainability services offered to other companies, NSF itself demonstrates numerous sustainable practices, including:
- Regular water quality assessments: NSF undergoes water quality assessments on a regular basis to verify that no harmful pollutants are discharged into waterways.
- Water recycling: NSF’s drinking water treatment lab recycles more than 2 million gallons of water annually.
- Sustainability committee: This employee-based committee focuses on recycling and employee education. NSF’s organic garden has produced nearly 3,500 pounds of fresh produce for donation to area food kitchens.
- Recycling and waste reduction: Where possible, the organization purchases recycled-content products and incorporates these practices into policies. NSF recycles an average of 51,882 pounds of metals (copper, brass and stainless steel) annually.
- Green buildings: NSF has completed two LEED green building projects to add new lab and office space in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Phase 1, completed in 2007, earned LEED Silver certification; Phase 2, completed in 2017, was awarded LEED Gold certification.
- Ongoing corporate sustainability: NSF has hired Seth Epstein as Senior Manager for Corporate Sustainability. He will serve as NSF’s internal champion to drive sustainability efforts at the corporate level.
For more information on the 2019 Food Logistics Top Green Providers list, visit the Food Logistics website. NSF was also named to the Top Green Providers list in 2018.