- NSF and HACCP
- HACCP and HACCP-9000®
Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points, or HACCP, is a systematic, science-based approach for the identification, evaluation and control of food safety hazards. Built on the foundation of effective prerequisite programs such as training, pest control and sanitation, HACCP applies control measures to prevent, eliminate or reduce significant hazards to an acceptable level.
HACCP was developed in the 1960s by the Pillsbury Company in response to NASA’s request for a preventative food safety system for astronauts. It has become the standard for food safety management systems around the world.
HACCP can be applied to all stages of a food supply chain, from food production and preparation processes, to packaging and distribution. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) both require HACCP programs for juice, seafood and meat and poultry.
HACCP has become a household name in the food safety industry, and is now being referenced in many other industries including pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.
HACCP-based food safety programs are required for Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) standards (SQF, BRC, IFS, FSSC22000, etc.) and are the basis for preventive controls as set forth in the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2011 (FSMA).
NSF provides a variety of services related to FSMA, including HACCP registration and HACCP-9000® certification, training and consulting. To learn more, contact us at +1 877.893.1325.
NSF and HACCP
NSF has been providing HACCP services for more than 10 years, with several related achievements, including:
- NSF is a longstanding and credible HACCP training provider, recognized by the International HACCP Alliance and The Seafood HACCP Alliance.
- NSF was the first service provider to develop and offer HACCP systems registration in 2000.
- At the same time, NSF offered HACCP-9000 certification, the conceptual forbearer of FSSC 22000 and other GFSI-benchmarked schemes.
- NSF’s auditors and consultants are trained HACCP managers with extensive breadth and depth of experience in developing, implementing and managing HACCP programs.
HACCP and HACCP-9000®
With decades of food safety and HACCP expertise, NSF can assist with HACCP registration and HACCP-9000 certification.
HACCP registration assesses the effectiveness of a facility’s food safety management system in its application of HACCP principles and underlying prerequisite programs. It relies on documentation, records, interviews and direct observations as proof of conformance to the established HACCP principles.
HACCP-9000 achieves the same objectives as HACCP registration, along with a standard ISO 9000 assessment. The combination assesses both food safety and quality management systems.
HACCP registration directly addresses key requirements of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) by ensuring that facilities operate effectively under current food safety regulations and comply with recognized HACCP principles.
- Increased internal and external confidence in your products, translating to greater credibility with global customers/partners
- Reduced risk of producing unsafe products through effectively implemented and managed programs
- International breadth and recognition to ensure global appeal
The NSF HACCP registration process follows six basic steps:
- Gap Analysis and Consultation (Optional) - Under a separately managed program, an experienced NSF consultant/practitioner assesses your current food safety management system for fitness and effectiveness. The consultant provides coaching and, if necessary, hands-on assistance in developing your system documentation and recordkeeping procedures.
- Desk Audit - A qualified NSF auditor is assigned to review your company's HACCP and food safety documentation to identify potential areas of nonconformance. This leads to an increased success rate for the registration audit. This may be done remotely or on-site.
- On-Site Readiness Review - This assessment is part of the registration process, which enables the auditor to verify the HACCP and food safety system to identify areas of improvement and to ensure that your company is prepared for registration.
- Registration Audit - The auditor conducts a comprehensive assessment of your company's HACCP and food safety system.
- Review and Board Approval - The NSF Certification Board reviews the auditor's report, approves your company for registration and issues a certificate if all requirements are met.
- Surveillance Audit - A qualified NSF auditor conducts ongoing surveillance audits to ensure the HACCP and food safety system is maintained.
NSF offers a variety of HACCP training courses to accommodate varying levels of HACCP knowledge or industry expertise, including HACCP Manager, Advanced HACCP: Verification and Validation, and Seafood HACCP courses.
NSF’s HACCP courses are presented by knowledgeable food safety experts who possess scientific and academic backgrounds along with the hands-on industry experience necessary to communicate the relevant course information and the latest issues related to global food safety.
Each NSF instructor has 20+ years experience in various sectors of the food industry including but not limited to quality assurance, manufacturing, distribution, environmental health, food safety inspection and auditing. All instructors are seasoned trainers with proven education and training skills in HACCP along with HACCP-based food safety management systems including SQF and BRC.
Check out the latest NSF HACCP course offerings.
NSF offers a variety of HACCP-related consulting services including:
- Food safety management systems review and gap analysis
- Prerequisite program development and documentation
- Plan development and documentation
- Consulting to and preparation for certification to the global food safety standards
NSF’s HACCP consulting services for HACCP are managed separately from HACCP registration services to avoid conflicts of interest.
- 1 month ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Yvonne Anding, Senior Lead Auditor at global public health organization NSF International, has been recognized as...
- 2 months ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich – NSF International, a global public health and safety organization that provides food safety and quality assurance...
- 3 months ago
GUELPH, Ontario — NSF International, a global public health and safety organization with over 70 years of expertise in water,...
- Wednesday, July 6, 2016
- 8:00am - 6:00pm Central Time
- Los Reyes, Mich., Mexico
- Monday, July 11, 2016
- 8:30am - 5:00pm Central Time
- Des Plaines, Illinois, United States
- Tuesday, July 12, 2016
- 8:30am - 5:00pm Central Time
- Houston , Texas, United States
- Thursday, July 14, 2016
- 8:00am - 6:00pm Central Time
- Zamora, Mich., Mexico