- Benefits of Verification
- Why Work With NSF?
- Verification Process
The responsible and sustainable use of our resources has been a concern for businesses and society for decades, and the diversion of waste from landfill is one of the more significant environmental issues facing society today. Achieving landfill-free status is a significant accomplishment and companies demonstrating environmental leadership and social responsibility can now have their environmental claim verified through a reputable, independent third party.
The NSF Sustainability Landfill-Free Program establishes uniform criteria to evaluate and verify an organization's waste management processes and grants recognition to companies that can demonstrate that less than 1 percent of process waste is being sent to landfill.
Download the case study to find out how West Liberty Foods, an Iowa-based foodservice company, earned landfill-free status for its Tremonton, Utah processing facility through third-party verification from NSF.
Benefits of Verification
NSF Sustainability’s Landfill-Free Program provides a structured process to help your organization identify and quantify your waste streams, and upon successful verification, get recognition for your achievement of being landfill-free. Our program provides your organization with full transparency around your waste reduction efforts and the credibility of verification by a trusted third-party certification body – leading to greater marketplace recognition for your efforts.
We define the necessary steps of the verification process and the criteria for a landfill-free claim. Our experienced professionals work with you to review and evaluate your waste management processes in a constructive and collaborative manner that promotes improvement. The verification provides your claim of landfill-free the full credibility of the NSF name. Take the next step and get your landfill-free status verified by NSF.
Why Work With NSF?
NSF’s Landfill-Free Program provides a structured process to help your organization identify and quantify your waste streams, and upon successful certification, get recognition for your achievement of being landfill-free. We define the necessary steps of the verification process and the criteria for a landfill-free claim. Our experienced professionals work with you to review and evaluate your waste management processes in a constructive and collaborative manner that promotes improvement. The verification provides your landfill-free claim the full credibility of the NSF name.
To get started on the path to being a verified landfill-free facility, it is important for your company to look at its waste stream and determine where every piece of waste is going. Once the waste stream has been analyzed, it is time to reduce waste where you can, find ways to reuse other parts of your waste stream, and recycle or compost whatever is left. After you gather all necessary documentation regarding your waste management process, your company is ready to begin the path to verification, which includes these steps:
- Your company contacts NSF Sustainability for a quote.
- We provide an application for your company to complete and, based on this, provide a quote and contract for landfill-free verification.
- Upon receiving acceptance of the quote and the signed contract, we assign the verification team and plan audit dates.
- We conduct a documentation review to evaluate the adequacy of the information available, evaluate the site’s readiness for the on-site audit, help with audit planning and finalize the verification plan.
- We conduct the on-site audit to verify the landfill-free claim.
- Upon successful completion of the verification audit and satisfactory clearance of any deviations from requirements, your organization receives the results in writing. We issue the certificate and publish the verification on our website. The certificate is valid for one year.
- We perform an annual reassessment audit to verify that your organization operates as an landfill-free facility on a continual basis.
NSF International Finalizes First Environmental Product Declaration for PPG’s Architectural Coatings
- 2 months ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – NSF Sustainability, a division of global public health organization NSF International, has verified an environmental product...
- 5 months ago
ANN ARBOR, Mich. and MASON, Ohio – NSF Sustainability, a division of global public health organization NSF International, has certified...
- 1 year ago